A Banner Welcome


Hi Folks! Happy All Saints Day! The younger set in our house is still in a sugar coma from last night. I hope your family is faring better! Welcome to a new Die Cut Challenge from Stuck on U Sketches. This time, we’re creating banners. Now I like banners, but I’m never sure where to put them. So for this challenge I decided to incorporate a little banner into a new autumn-flavored welcome wreath for the front door. Let’s take a look:


To make this wreath, I covered a styrofoam form in 2-inch wide burlap ribbon (from my local craft store) and then fashioned a large bow at the top from the same ribbon and copious amounts of hot glue. I accented the bow with Slate Polka Dot ribbon from Close To My Heart.  The patterned paper used in the flowers and banner are from Close To My Heart’s new Huntington Collection, which is perfect for celebrating autumn. The flowers, leaves and banners are all cut from the CTMH Art Philosophy Cricut cartridge. The banner is cut at 1 1/4 inches with a 1-inch layer of Kraft Cardstock. “Welcome” is stamped in Barn Red Exclusive ink using the “You Are My Happy” alphabet stamp set, which is retired. Here’s a close up:


The flowers and leaves are cut in a variety of sizes. I inked around the edges of the flowers with Barn Red Exclusive ink and the edges of the leaves with Olive Exclusive ink to give them both extra definition. I then added Slate-colored pearls to the center of the flowers for a little extra bling. Here are a couple of close-ups:



Finally, I added some sparkle flourishes for a little extra…well…sparkle. I really like the juxtaposition of the burlap and gems.



I hope you enjoyed my little welcome banner! For more inspiration be sure to visit my amazingly talented co-designers at Stuck On U Sketches.

Have a great weekend and don’t forget to create something beautiful today!




Happy Autumn!

Hello All! Happy Autumn!

It’s time for another die cut challenge with Stuck On U Sketches. This go ’round it’s all about autumn goodness. I have to say, I’m so ready for fall. The weather here in DC is still a little balmy though. Oh well by February we’ll be wishing for balmy, so I’ll enjoy it while I can.

Here’s my autumn project:


I decided my door needed a new wreath so I dug through my stash of alterables (it’s a rather large stash, I have to say) and found this wreath form made from heavy chipboard. I wrapped it in jute ribbon by Close To My Heart, and went to work on making it autumn-esque.  The flower and all the leaves were cut using the Flower Shoppe Cricut cartridge. The flower is sized at 2 inches and the leaves range from 1 3/4  to 3 inches. Once they were cut, I drew veins on the leaves with my embossing tool and then inked around the edges and lightly inked in the centers.  I used Ruby, Barn Red, Olive and Honey cardstock from Close To My Heart. All of the leaves are inked with Chocolate Exclusive ink, and the Honey and  Olive leaves are additionally inked in Goldrush and Olive respectively. The flower is also inked in Goldrush.  The sentiments are from the CTMH Happy Autumn stamp set. I stamped them onto kraft cardstock using Barn Red Exclusive ink and mounted them on patterned paper from the Huntington Collection. I decided, in the end, that it needed a little extra pizzaz, so I spritzed the whole thing with Antique Gold shimmer mist.

Here are a few close-ups:





I wanted to hang it on my front door, but sadly, it covers up my “peep-hole.” So I had to come up with an alternate spot OR lengthen the jute hanger.


Here’s the alternate spot, for now–my kitchen window:


I hope this brings you a little autumn crafty inspiration! For more inspiration, hop on over to the Stuck On U Sketches site and see with my  talented co-designers have in store for you.

Meanwhile, have a wonderful weekend and don’t forget to take time to create something beautiful!



Sometimes you just have to make your own

I decided this year that I would kick it up a notch in the home decor and actually decorate our front porch area. I thought I would start with my beautiful grapevine wreath for the front door. I thought wrong. Because this house has a storm door on the front door, my grapevine wreath was too thick! I kept looking for something that would fit, but never found it. So I decided to make my own.

The base of the wreath is chipboard. Since I like to be a little unique, I cut it to a 10-inch square instead of the traditional circle. The paper used for the flowers is from Creative Memories, and was retired several years ago. (I’m making a dent in my stash! YAY!) The buttons are paper from the same pack that I cut in various sizes of circles and hearts using CM shape makers. I then adhered them to chip board and hand cut them. I punched a couple of holes in each with my Crop-A-Dile, and covered them in Glossy Accents to give them a fun sheen. I used some yarn I had on hand for the button thread. My daughter was a BIG help with all of this.

The flowers were made using 12-inch long strips of paper cut at a variety of widths from 1 to 1.75 inches. (Anything wider than 1.75 inches requires a longer strip of paper.) I scored the paper with my Martha Stewart score board every .25 inch before cutting the strips (it made the scoring easier and much quicker). I then fan-folded the strips and clued the ends together to make a ring. I pressed everything toward the center and glued it to a circular base. (All gluing was done with hot glue. It’s just quicker.) I glued a small circle of cardstock on the top to make it sturdier and then added the buttons. Here’s a good video on making these flowers.

“T-H-A-N-K-F-U-L” are button letters that I received in a group of things by Field Notes that I bought at an auction. So cool! I can’t wait to use them on a Christmas project!

Hope you enjoy it!

%d bloggers like this: